- 07 Jul
SEPTEMBER SCHOOL HOLIDAY HOME SECURITY
Wow… another term goes by and the school holidays will soon be upon us. Planning a trip or staying local with day trips to amusement centres or kids playdates? I’ve mentioned in my other blogs that the biggest thing to remember is not to post your activities or check-ins on social media. I know we all love sharing pics on social media but maybe save them and upload all your happy snaps upon your return. I might even share some of mine in my next blog. But leaving home to enjoy a well-earned break doesn’t have to mean leaving yourself exposed to home theft, with a number of simple steps to help keep your home safe in your absence.
- Ensure your house is visible to neighbours and not shielded by overgrown trees and shrubs.
- Ensure your house number is clearly visible so it can be located in an emergency.
- Get to know your neighbours. Exchange contact details.
- Secure your home when you leave by locking all doors, windows and gates.
- Don’t leave keys in internal doors and windows.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- Avoid leaving notes on your door that suggest no one is home.
- Make an effort not to leave spare keys under mats, pot plants or in the letter box.
- When leaving your home, leave a light on and the TV or radio on to give your house the “people are home” look.
- Turn off your landline telephone or decrease the volume so it doesn’t give away that no one is home.
- Mark valuable property using the Police Identification System.
- Home alarm systems are the most effective way of arming your home and back to base monitoring will alert you if there is an incident when you are away.
- Our CCTV systems can be linked up to your mobile device so you can log in from anywhere around the world and view real time footage of your home.
Until next time, enjoy the school holidays and if you have any queries regarding your home security you can contact me via my website www.precisesecurity.com.au or message me at www.facebook.com/groups/hillsdistrictcrimewatch. Take care and #StaySafe